No, Open Mesh access points are not designed to be used as a replacement for a router. We strongly recommend you use a router to manage your local network, internet routing and firewall needs, and use the Open Mesh access points as Wireless Access Points for your network.
Limitations of trying to use an Open Mesh access point as a router include:
- No user configurable firewall or port forwarding.
- Default firewall rules expect to be on a local network.
- No control over DHCP address range.
- No control over services exposed to the internet (e.g. DNS/SSH).
- Bridged SSIDs will likely not function due to exhausting your available allowed IP addresses from your ISP, and should be considered a security risk, as users would be bridged directly onto the internet with no firewall.
- Limited to one wired gateway per IP address allowed by your internet provider.
We recommend using our router! Purchase one here